Spaghetti and The Best Meatballs

Here is a recipe you might want to try next time you have a craving for spaghetti and meatballs.  These are really good meatballs.

Place 2 pounds of ground meat in a bowl.  Add 2 cups of  fresh breadcrumbs.  I made them using my no knead rosemary bread so they would add lots of flavor.
Add 1/2 cup of buttermilk or you can use regular milk.

Add 1 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley.

Add 2 beaten eggs and salt and pepper to taste.  I used about 2 tsp. of salt and 1 Tablespoon of pepper.

Mix together just until everything is combined.  The less mixing, the more tender your meatballs will be.  Bake them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Use tongs to add them to your sauce.

This is  a very good sauce that has been all over the internet and is very simple to make.  Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a heavy pan.  Cut 2 large onions in half and gently saute' them cut side down for 20 minutes.  Add 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes.  I used San Marzano.  Add 3 diced cloves of garlic.  Cook the sauce for 45 minutes and then remove the onions and discard.  Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper and a bit of sugar if your tomato sauce is very acidic. I added 1 tablespoon.

Meatballs in the sauce.

Boil some spaghetti until al dente and ladle some sauce over it and top it with a meatball.   Sprinkle on additional Parmesan cheese.

Comments

Guillaume said…
This actually looks like it might be the spaghetti and best meatballs recipe. Next time we play Call of Cthulhu, we'll have this I think. Because there is something with spaghetti meatballs and Lovecraftian universe, I kid you not.
jody said…
its just been way to hot to use my oven...and i have been craving spaghetti so as soon as some kids come home i am going to make todays recipe! i can honestly say i dont think i have had spaghetti in over a year! wow and it use to be a weekly meal....your fish recipes sound great also! enjoy your day!
Anonymous said…
These meatballs does look delicious (can they be anything else with those ingredients?), a bit different from the ones we do over here.

We rarely have spaghetti to our meatballs, usually we have potatoes instead. If we boil the meatballs we call them frikadeller. It's the opposite in Denmark though. If they boil them they call them meatballs and if they fry them, they call them frikadeller :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Anonymous said…
oh my, hello supper!
brokenteepee said…
Sounds easy and delicious
Your meatballs do sound great. Anything with No Knead Rosemary Bread gets 5 stars with me. I'm going to have to force myself to use garden tomatoes in that sauce however.
TARYTERRE said…
It has been so hot I haven't thought about spaghetti. But this LOOKS delicious. I can almost taste it. YUM.
Nellie said…
Another wonderful meal! Quite a hit around here, too!
Barb said…
I have some buttermilk on hand, I'll have to try these!
Anonymous said…
That looks so very delicious !!!
Thank you very much for the recipe !!