Italian Sandwiches

Here is something else that I made for The Chef.  He loves sandwiches and he loves charcuterie. I stopped at a local smokehouse last week and bought some smoked pepperoni and it is wonderful.  Combined with salami, mortadella and prosciutto, it makes a killer sandwich. First I made some good sandwich rolls.
Then I shredded some mozzarella cheese and added garlic, softened butter and spices.

 I spread it on the split rolls and broiled them until crisp. Then I spread them with mayo.

 I added pickled celery which I made a week or so ago.  Have you ever pickled celery?  It's great!  Crunchier than pickles and it has a wonderful flavor.  I'll pickle just about anything these days. Pickled celery is a surprise when you bite into one of these sandwiches but it compliments the meats perfectly.

 I like to add crunchy celery to these sandwiches so I used romaine.  I also slice tomatoes thinly, salt them and drain them on paper towels so they don't make the sandwich soggy.

Good sandwiches are all about layering.  Layering taste as well as textures and always using the best bread you can make or buy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Exactly what I would like to have right now! but I lack some ingredients so I'll have to come up with something else.

Have a great day!

Christer.
Gemmagirl said…
What a beauty. You're a hero. I've never picked anything, but boy the idea of celery sounds amazing.
Charcuterie! I love that word.
Guillaume said…
My kind of sandwich... if without ham.
Anonymous said…
You can make a sandwich for me anytime! That looks delicious.
Leanne said…
Yum! And the pickled celery sounds interesting too!